* Know what your children are doing online and who they are talking to. It’s easier to supervise younger children and get them into good safe surfing behaviours when they are first starting to use the computer.
* Make using the computer a family activity and place laptops and other devices that connect to the internet in a family room.
* Help your children to understand that they should never give out personal details to online friends. Personal information includes their messenger id, email address, mobile number and any pictures of themselves, their family or friends.
* If your child receives emails from people they don’t know (such as junk or spam emails) remind them never to open them, believe them, reply to them or use them.
* Talk to your children about how they are using the internet and ask them about the games they play online.
For more support, advice or to make a report please see the Parents portion of the CEOP website.